El Clàssic is the Catalonian name given to any match between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona; the fiercest rivals in the Spanish football league, La Liga. Regional rivalry between Spain’s two largest cities doesn’t start or stop at the national sport of football. Indeed for both of these metropolis’ the quest to be best started in the early 20th century. But which world-renowned terrain produces the best vino? Join us as wine rep Jaime Garcia of Spain Only 1 guides a tasting of wines from Priorat (representing Catalonia), and Toro (representing Madrid). Jamie is also a founder and the CEO of the only 100% football sports agency. Born and raised in Spain, and a professional expert in both football and wine, Jamie is the absolute most qualified person we could find to host Madrina’s very own El Clàssic.
- Genium Ximenis, 2017 // Barrel Aged white wine. Pedro Ximénez, White Grenache y Macabeo. A virtual Pedro Ximénez (90%) single varietal, this white comes from old vineyards on costers (slopes), fermented in new French oak barrels and aged on its lees for 3 months.
- Genium Celler, 2012 // Red Crianza wine. Grenache, Carignan, Merlot y Syrah. A wine which brings together the complexities of the different estates from which the grapes are sourced. It undergoes a long maceration with skins and is matured in French oak barrels for 10 months, which results in an intensely-coloured wine, exhibiting lots of ripe yet fresh red fruit, with the characteristic mineral notes found in this region, spicy notes, and concluding with a refined floral finish.
- Bodega Matarredonda Juan Rojo, 2010 // Red Crianza wine. 100% Tempranillo. Aged for 8 months in French oak. It delivers a superb bouquet of lightly roasted herbs, espresso, lavender, incense, black cherry, blackberry, and dark chocolate. This leads to a rich, succulent, seamless wine that manages to conceal enough structure for another 2-3 years of evolution.
- Puerta de Alcala Reserva, 2014 // Red Reserva wine. 100% Tempranillo. Deep ruby colour, dry, notes of red fruits and berries, earth and leaves. Cranberries, sour cherries and wooden elements on the palate. Medium bodied, balanced yet lighter finish.
- FOIE GRAS & ANCHOVIES MONTADITO // foie gras ganache, Cantåbrico anchovies, fried capers, nori seaweedJAMONES Y EMBUTIDOS // ham & charcuteriePA AMB TOMÀQUET // Catalonian crispy bread with tomato, extra virgin olive oil
- PATATAS BRAVAS MADRINA LIKE A MILLEFEUILLE // sriracha brava sauce, wasabi aioli
- GRILLED OCTOPUS // curry scented chickpea hummus, smoked paprika
- STEAK TARTARE ON A ROASTED MARROW BONE // manchego cheese foam, soy pearls, crispy toasts
- CROQUETAS DE ARROZ CON LECHE // Spanish rice pudding croquettes coated in bread crumb and carbon